Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Claire de Lune --- Chrisine Johnson

Rating: 3.5 Stars
Genre: Science fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult
Pages: 336

Official Summary:
Torn between two destinies?

Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.

As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?

Review:
Hmmm a tricky review because I both liked and disliked the book.

Likes:

I know some of us are over the whole werewolf thing, but this werewolf story was surprisingly unique and original. Only women are werewolves and they are "born with it," although it does not manifest itself until the girl turns 16.

Humans know werewolves exist in the world but they are not adequately informed on the subject. Consequently, there is a lot of mystery and myths surrounding werewolves, as well as researchers trying to unravel the mystery. I enjoyed this aspect of the story. It is different from most werewolf books.

There were two villains in this book; Matthew's father with his "cure" for werewolves and the rogue werewolf in Claire's city who is killing people. The two villains added more interest to the plot.

Dislikes:

The story was somewhat predictable. As I read, I found myself making predictions about the plot and what would happen with the characters. Turns out that I was mostly right with my guesses! I would have liked a few more twists and turns.

I enjoyed the romance between Claire and Matthew, but it came a little too easily for my liking. This is entirely my own preference, but I like a little more tension and conflict that builds up to the romance. Does that make sense? Haha!

Claire was a likable main character. Claire was realistic with her emotions throughout the book and brave when she needed to be, but I did not feel a pull toward her. She was not a memorable character. If that sounds harsh, I apologize :)

Overall Claire de Lune was enjoyable. Worth reading, but maybe check it out from the library or borrow it from a friend.

Audience: Any teenage girl or anyone who likes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment