Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fallen --- Lauren Kate


Rating: 2 Stars
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance
Pages: 452

Official Summary:
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Review:
I just finished reading Fallen by Lauren Kate. Firstly, I love the cover. I was drawn to it from the moment I walked in to Borders. The Borders employees had only good things to say about this book. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but this book is not worth reading.

Luce is sent to a reform school because of a strange, bizarre accident that resulted in the death of a boy. Her new school is dark and pretty much gothic; the school grounds include a cemetery, the gymnasium is a remodeled church, and the uniforms are all black clothing. Don't you think as a parent you would be a little skeptical of any school that has all black uniforms, let alone a reform school?

Luce was a very annoying character. It was hard to follow her logic. For example, she was drawn to Daniel from the moment she saw him at school. Even though he was a complete jerk to her, Luce was still so attracted to him and always thinking about him. Come on, girl! Have some dignity. Luce just crawls after Daniel the entire book. To top it off, she even researches Daniel on the internet, trying to learn more about him. It was pathetic. Luce was just an uninteresting, pessimistic character. To make a story appealing to me, there needs to be a strong, engaging main character. Unfortunately, Fallen simply did not have one.

Also, at the end of the book, I was expecting some answers to the plot. But little information was revealed and I was left as confused as ever. The audience has to have a payoff for reading!

After reading this post you may believe that I am a pessimist just like dear Luce! I promise I am not. There are just better books out there to read.

Don't worry! My next blog post will be a 5 Star book! :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I saw on yahoo that it was a great book, both Kaetlin and I read it and it was a big disappointment

    ReplyDelete