Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Year of Wonders --- Geraldine Brooks

Rating: 4 Stars
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 308

Official Summary:
When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated mountain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes, we follow the story of the plague year, 1666, as her fellow villagers make an extraordinary choice. Convinced by a visionary young minister, they elect to quarantine themselves within the village boundaries to arrest the spread of the disease. But as death reaches into every household, faith frays. When villagers turn from prayers and herbal cures to sorcery and murderous witch-hunting, Anna must confront the deaths of family, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of a dangerous and illicit love. As she struggles to survive, a year of plague becomes, instead, annus mirabilis, a "year of wonders." Inspired by the true story of Eyam, a village in the rugged mountain spine of England. Year of Wonders is a detailed evocation of a singular moment in history.

Review:
I read this book during my senior year of high school and I still recommend it to my friends to read. This story is gripping. Not exactly a happy story but still very good. I love the way it ends! The story follows the main character Anna and how the plague affects her, her family, and her community. It is truly remarkable and brings the infamous plague to life.

If you love to reading history, this book is right for you! Geraldine Brooks writes beautifully.
This book definitely has some mature content so I recommend the audience be 14+

1 comment:

  1. Rachel turned me on to this book, I loved it, I think that it was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete